Friday, February 4, 2011

Friday, Day of Anger


12:30 pm

The internet cut out last night around midnight before we all settled in to watch the Dark Crystal. Despite Jim Henson's attempt to assure us that fantasy could be found even in Egypt, the reality of what lay ahead the next day began to set in. I sprang out of bed this morning at the first prayers of Friday sounded through the loud speaker outside my window.  I found my mobile network shut off, my Skype status a gray, lifeless X, and my gmail not loading. No news. No communication. Server and internet down. No matter, I'll just post this later. I thought of running over to Vodafone and Link DSL and demanding whether they were Egyptian or National Democratic Party members. I know they ultimately control those switches. Those traitors. No matter, I think the government was too late to stop anything. This has been in the process of organization for days now, and the mosques are the agreed upon gathering place. How did they do it in 1977? There was no cell phone, there was no internet. Egyptians have to know this. The blocking of technology won't stop people from feeling empowered and taking to the streets, waving that flag in front of the riot police. 
Glancing out the window to let Poopsie out on the balcony, my eye caught the red, white, and black of the Egyptian flag waving in the wind down at the gas station across from the construction site, where workers were busy laying foundation. That was the first time I've seen a flag outside of the context of a government building. There was another one directly across the street. As Prayer still echoes through the rooms and halls of my apartment, an uneasy anticipation sweeps over me; what's going to happen in a mere hour when mosque lets out? I wanted so bad to be able to follow events as they unfolded today, to know who is in power. I want to know numbers, I want to know progress. But again, I will have to wait. I'm getting better at the waiting game. Patience takes time. Anyway, this isn't about me. It's about the future of 80 million souls, tired of violence and economic struggle. Until we all know, Darci, Alberto, Poopsie, and I will stick together with our french toast and eggs. 
To the People of Egypt, I'm praying for you. May God guide you.

3:48 pm

I came to my senses after taking a tour outside the apartment after a demonstration of thousands of people marched past on Abu Ir. I'm staying indoors today.  Darci and Alberto left a few minutes ago. Al-Jazeera is reporting that Mahatat Ramel is burning, and the witness said she's not sure where the smoke is coming from. Suez  has troops deployed in the streets. I couldn't convince them to stay, no matter what I said. I'm afraid for them. I told them to take a cab to make sure they have a way back and that they don't have to take the tram and be with a bunch of people. They decided on the tram. "I've always wanted to protest against The Man," said Darci excitedly. Me too, but my gut says no. I'm going to listen to it for a change, despite what I want. I ran to my room, took my scarf and soaked it with water and gave it to her. "Just in case of tear gas," I said. With a hug, they went out the door. "You want anything to eat?" Alberto called to me going down the stairs. "Foul with egg." I told them they need to be back by 5:30 or I'm going to freak out. I hope they come earlier. Oh Andrew, you're wrong. Things are falling apart all around, and I can't get ahold of anyone. I guess I'll just wait for something to happen. Tick. Tock.

1:11 am

They came back around 7:30; by that time I had decided I was taking Poopsie to the American Center tomorrow morning after the curfew was lifted at 7am. Thoughts raced through my head as I watched Al-Jazeera footage flash before my eyes. I felt stuck, scared. Will I find a cab to get there? I don't have a phone, I don't have internet access. What the fuck am I supposed to do? My anger turned towards Andrew and his stellar "experienced" expertise on the situation; protests were called for tomorrow, he said. But they probably won't deteriorate or be as big as Tuesday. I began to scream at him, realizing eventually that he wasn't here. He sent out our evacuation plan not only an hour before the internet was cut last night. What if my mother hadn't emailed him, which spurred his evacuation plan email. I wouldn't know what to do. I still don't know what to do. I forget what street the American Center is on.  Unfortunately, I can't look it up right now. I don't have the internet. I still cannot believe that he is in charge of my safety. He will no longer be; I'm no longer dealing with Andrew; he's an incompetent child that is out of touch with the situation. Much like the government. If he had been following the news as closely as I was, rather than the "major news outlets", he would have logically concluded that the anger in the streets, the participation of the Muslim Brotherhood, the effect of al-Baradei on the movement, and the sheer numbers and violence caught on video would have led him to conclude that Washington's stance of there being "no plans to alter the program in any way" is an out of touch, foolish, irresponsible, and idiotic response. If I ever see Andrew again or if I end up staying here, he will hear from me in a way he has never done so before. I plan to take this to Rafah's office in Washington. This is entirely unacceptable; there is no coordination now; it's chaos. We're alone. 

All I have is al-Jazeera
Events focused mostly on Cairo and the 6th of October Bridge, the veritable traffic artery of the city. Riot police and protesters played cat and mouse, firing tear gas and retreating, the demonstrators throwing rocks and sticks and retreating. One girl was hit in the head with a tear gas canister and died instantly, her body along with another young man being loaded into a van by protesters on the way to the hospital. Protesters took over a police mobilization van, trying to push it off the bridge into the Nile. They failed, so decided to set it on fire. It's still burning as the usual Cairo over-crowded traffic resumed later in the night. The National Democratic Party's HQ was torched, threatening the National Museum of Egyptian Antiquities, around which protesters formed a chain to keep looters out. The most powerful image today was a man falling to his knees, waving at the police, then another man. It was time for the sundown prayer. God entered the protest and an eerie quiet fell over the scene as Egyptians lined up, prostrated, and bowed down in prayer. No one fired and allowed them to continue. I think we all know what would have happened if they were attacked while praying…
Fire continued to grip the city as Egyptians began to storm the foreign ministry building, followed by the police entering the al-Jazeera HQ over the live feed site. "اقفل الباب close the door! The reporter yelled. The military enters just after prayer as Egyptians greeted them with cheers and fist pumps. Until they found out that it wasn't the military proper, but the Presidential Guard, sent to protect key buildings, including the burned-out NDP Headquarters. One tank was surrounded by 400 protesters blocking its path. It appears now that the military is in fact in line with the regime. It's too early to tell; signals are mixed and there is too much chaos in the streets. 

Alexandria is the same. Mahatat Ramel was a war zone and deserted. Manchia district was the epicenter of rage. After no news about my city, video started to trickle in: government buildings, and it looks like the Courthouse, were on fire. Cans were burning, a police station was on fire. Alberto and Darci saw a car explode. The police retreated completely, and the demonstrators took over the city. Just as al-Jazeera announced that the military had reached Alexandria, I heard planes flying overhead and tanks firing far away. Control was being restored. Or so it sounds. I have no idea. I still hear the explosions and gunfire. I left Darci's apartment to get my "oh shit" pack, just in case we have to flee. A choking smell of the burning city filled my lungs. The curfew, imposed at 6 and largely ignored, was being obeyed in my area. The lights were off. Streets were deserted save the occasional car. An eerie silence gripped my neighborhood, with the background of military might dull in the distance. 6 people have been killed here. 

What is in store for tomorrow? 
We were all sure that the government had fallen. Inundated with images on the media, what I was hearing, smelling, and feeling, we all thought that Mubarak was 1. still in Sharm al-Sheikh 2. dead 3. left the country 4. would announce his stepping down. Waiting 4 hours for the long awaited "important announcement" by the President, I was disappointed by the speech. He would not relinquish power and is dissolving the Cabinet. Really? That was all? No one on the street is going to stomach this. They want him gone. He tired to paint himself as the tireless leader of the poor, but over 30 years, he has yet to deliver and raise up this 40% of Egyptians that live under or just above the poverty line. His brazen arrogance that he has control over the situation has baffled me, totally unexpected. He is out of touch with reality, and has a smug attitude that demonized the "youth" for taking to the streets and tried to advance a position of "cooperation" with the people and lauding the democracy that characterizes the Egyptian political system. As he continued to speak, I became angry. So angry; and I'm not Egyptian. Stepping out on the balcony, I began to hear renewed booms and jets overhead. This is not over. This will continue to be bloody. Al-Jazeera said that the leader of the Muslim Brotherhood said that they will not accept him staying in power, and want the military to come and save Egypt. A difficult position because though largely removed from the day-to-day runnings of the country, the military is considered under the strict control and loyalty to the President. They are not hated like the police and security forces are. As night fell, the police and security services retreated, and the military seemed to be welcomed, I had hope. Now I'm not so sure. The military on the side of the people was a key to Tunisia's successful revolution. Loyalties in Egypt are blurred, it appears. 

The US won't yet pick a side, saying it supports it's long relationship with Egypt, yet denouncing the use of violence against its citizens, demanding that the internet be turned back on, and both sides to show restraint. The US is in a delicate position: should it support this sclerotic, unpopular, autocratic regime, or should it stand behind its ideals of freedom of speech, assembly, and association that it has been touting all evening on the media? Both cannot happen. The government announced it will "rethink" its aid to Egypt, which receives the second highest amount of foreign aid due to the Camp David treaty that ended the Arab-Israeli war of 1973. International law and treaty issue. Can the US just withdraw the treaty legally? I don't know because I don't have the Internet. Will it? I think it depends on the events on the ground. If it looks like Mubarak will fall, like almost reassured, I have a feeling that the US will withdraw funding in order to save face with the Egyptian people and will endorse American ideology. Speculation, but I don't think the US will modify it now, no matter how much they "rethink" it. The US is at a crossroads: ideology or strategy? Pick the first and the government survives, Egypt will no longer be the bastion of US foreign interest in the Mid east peace process as it is now, but will not look so evil in the eyes of the people (who are picking up tear gas canisters and bullets that say "Made in USA" and rightfully blaming my country for these weapons used against them). Espouse a dedication to strategy, you prop up a dictatorship, tacitly denying Egyptians basic human and political rights, and ruining our already-weak and tainted reputation on the Arab street. A true crossroad.

"This is North Korea style communication shutdown…completely inhumane… violation of human rights…he needs to backtrack immediately." Adel Iskander, Al-Jazeera analyst

When I wake up tomorrow, Egypt will be a new Egypt. The people have broken a barrier of fear against the police, which have proven to be ineffective yet brutal. People are just not afraid anymore. They are emboldened. I felt it today when i was out to see what was going on. People were excited, smiling, running, chatty. Fervor has gripped this country and it won't die down until they get what they want. They won't back down until Mubarak is gone. A New Egypt has been born. No matter what the authorities or the NDP say, this is a revolution. The Egyptian Revolution of 2011. 


No comments:

Post a Comment