Wednesday, January 26, 2011

The Jasmine Revolution has finally blossomed in Egypt

My head just hit the pillow as I slowly surrendered to my fatigue. Then I heard the muffled grumblings and rumblings of a crowd. I sprang out of bed. "Do you hear it?" Alberto asked? "Let's go! Hurry hurry!" I toss on my hat and coat and race down the stairs to Abu Ir street, where we were met with a sea of mostly young people chanting out against Hosni Mubarak's regime. يسقط يسقط حسني مبارك! (down, down with Hosni Mubarak!) We moved parallel to the crowd along the street, trying to keep my distance and safety in mind.  For the first time, I forgot about the religious divisions in the country that have plagued society over the past couple months. I didn't remember the bombing of the Church. I forgot about the class divides that sharply divided society along dangerously clear fault lines of the "haves" and extremely "have nots". Though the chants were muffled still, I kept hearing الشعب...الشعب (the People, the People). Chills ran down my back and I smiled. Under the banner of the Egyptian flag these divisions disappeared into the smear of red, white, and black Egyptian unity and patriotism.  I jumped up to the overpass to get a better look at the crowd marching to Sidi Gabr train station. "You better look at this," I heard Alberto say. I turned around to find myself on top of a crowd of a couple thousand Egyptians, the basin being fed by the tributary of stragglers from the east. Slowly, the crowd made its way down towards the Corniche on the Mediterranean.


Sidi Gabr Train Station





We bolted for the escalators and down into the crowd. I silently joined the wave of hopeful, emboldened faces. Women, children, young men, old men, fathers, mothers, brothers, sisters, friends holding hands...the chanting continues..."Down with Mubarak!" "Down with the Police!" The camaraderie I felt at that moment was the strongest that I've ever felt with Egyptians.  I had the privilege of sharing this historic moment with them and felt the fervor of Tunisia's Jasmine Revolution take hold of my mind. Being idealistic is not naive, and neither is thinking that change takes years to happen. It can happen over night. This was proof that the hunger for survival free of oppression really is a noble cause that a People strive for. I saw it with my own eyes.   And for once, my Narcissistic complex did not set in, I was not being watched and picked out as a "foreigner". I was not American; I wasn't rich. I was not a occupier.  At that moment, we were all Human.


On my way to the intersection




As our crowd approached the intersection across from the military hospital, it began to disperse. It was the shurta (police), blockading the way to the Corniche with military vehicles and paddy wagons. Not able to see much, we stood in the back as the crowd came to a halt, staring down the symbol of oppression and brutality that has plagued Egypt since the enactment of the Emergency Law in 1981 after the assassination of President Sadat. The chants faded to murmurs. As I jumped up to see what people were staring at, I heard a loud crack and a burst of light. "Gunfire? Grenades?" "Oh shit, run!" "Igry, Igry (run, run)!" shouted a young man. I feared being trampled so I turned and hiked it up faster than if Cinnamon Toast Crunch was on sale. I've never run like that, veritably for my life. I looked around and noticed I lost Alberto in the crowd. Running across the dark tram tracks, I cursed the invisible black wires that caught my ankle, kicking the boy next to me in my clumsy, unexperienced flee from the shurta. My burst turned into a walk, a casual walk as the crowd dispersed in the face of police in the other direction. I thought it wise to not seem too obvious; I didn't want to be caught by an officer. I faded back into my old hat and put on the foreigner persona. It's like an invisibility cloak to them. "Irga3, irga3 (come back, come back)!" shouted another man.  The school of People changed course in unison and headed west following the tram toward Mahatat Raml to join up with other protesters (later we would find out that there had been around 50,000 total in Alexandria). I wandered back, deciding the dark, narrow street they were braving was not wise. I knew there were no ways out if something were to happen; that street's a death trap. I turned back toward home, cutting through the ingeniously-designed "one-at-a-time" police approach to letting pedestrians pass through their ranks. Crowd control. Green armored police transport vehicles lined the street to my left, traffic still halted in front of me as I reach the train station and head eastward home.

To tell the truth, I'm shocked that this national "Day of Anger" culminated into reality. And all thanks to Facebook and other social media sites, on which 85,000 people pledged attendance to call for an end to Emergency Law, a term limit for presidents, a decrease in food prices, the sacking of the Minister of Interior (who runs the police department and the secret police, responsible for the corruption in and brutality of department), and the fall of President Hosni Mubarak.  Facebook! You did this, how amazing!

http://www.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,2044142,00.html

http://english.ahram.org.eg/~/NewsContent/1/64/4816/Egypt/Politics-/Protestors-shake-Egypts-streets-.aspx

Recap: districts in Cairo started to organize their protesters and eventually ended up in Maydan al-Tahrir (Tahrir Square), eventually shutting down the whole downtown district as an estimated 100,000 protesters flooded the area. Over 100,000 police were deployed to contain the protesters to keep them from entering the square, but were allowed to pass through the barricades with little resistance (some police officers were even reported later as enjoying food and drink with protesters). An attempt to storm Parliament was thwarted, and the Guardian reports that Cairo is now a "war zone".  Tear gas, water cannons, and rubber bullets were used to disperse the crowd which had ended in the square to no avail. Protesters began dismantling a water cannon. As night fell, the situation deteriorated, with the political opposition forces calling for Mubarak not to run again and his son not to run at all in the elections next year.  The interior minister announces that at 11:15 pm the police may use live rounds to break up the tens of thousands of demonstrators; reports flood in of the wounded, reportedly by live ammunition. 3 people die in the south due to demonstrations. The interior minister issues the government's first response, blaming the whole thing on the Muslim Brotherhood (which earlier rejected taking part in the protests), and hailing Egypt's great tradition of democracy as the reason that the protesters were allowed to continue, even when they shut down downtown Cairo, victimizing the police and villainizing the People for their "immature" behavior.  Rumors of facebook being banned start to circulate (my heart leaps in anger). Twitter is shut down, along with other independent media outlets. Police turn brutal in Cairo. Protesters vow not to leave the Square until the government falls. Susan Mubarak and Gamal, "heir to the throne" flee to London. Police finish dispersing the Square with the usual show of force and brutality.

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2011/01/25/egypt-deploys-police-tunisia-inspired-rally/

Indeed, the regime did not in the end give it's people a bone; a strategically smart (despotic) move. Based on Ben Ali's actions in Tunisia, admitting that you are wrong in any capacity weakens your credibility enough to get you toppled. Saying that you were "mislead" on societal indicators, sacking your Interior Minister at the behest of your people because of police brutality, and offering not to run in the next elections creates a domino effect because it empowers the People. By protesting, Tunisian's were granted concession after concession. They continued, demanding more, sacrificing more Tunisians, and eventually were rewarded in the end with the support of the military against Ben Ali. Mubarak appears to have read the Tunisian dictator's lesson correctly in his hole at his bougey Sharm el-Sheikh hideout.  The way I see it:


Egypt Model
Response factors of the Egyptian Government
1. Protestors push, government pushes
(10, -10)
=government falls


2. Protestors push, government relents
(5,0)
=government allows for dissent; concessions made after security established 
3. Protestors relent, government pushes
(2, 5)
=protests have minimum, symbolic effect; no overall system change
4. Protestors relent, government relents
(0,0)
=um, game flaw...this just doesn't happen unless you're British (no my dear Watson, after you, I insist)


Box 3 is the Nash Equilibrium of the game, making a submissive population to a pushy security service paraeto optimal for both groups. Another flaw and why political science needs some work. At any rate, using brute force to combat an unrelenting population will lead to a classic case of revolution, with oppression and political murder fanning the flames contempt. Still, I chose box 1, like these people:

Abu Qir outside my apartment



Today has been such a surprising day. Like most revolutions, it started with the unexpected. Even if these protests end up in box 3, the sight today was unlike anything Egypt has seen since 1977, and before that in 1952 with the collapse of the unpopular monarchy. The Egyptian people found their voice today, the street's cried a muddled cacophony of anger and hope. The People have spoken. It's up to those in power to decide to work with it and build upon the wishes of the people in the form of effective, just governance, or against it, leading to a one-way ticket for Mubarak to Saudi Arabia with Ben Ali.



It's the moment of truth and the moment to lie
The moment to live and the moment to die
The moment to fight, the moment to fight, to fight, to fight, to fight

It's a Brave New World.

No comments:

Post a Comment